Re: (ASCEND) : Help needed with filters on pipe50

> I need to set up filtering on a pipe50, so it does _not_ bring up the
> line for private IP addresses (192.168.x.x) but will activate for
> public ones (194.242.x.x).

You don't state where you are using the private addresses.
Are you using private addresses on your local area network?  Are you
connecting to a corporate network that is using the private addresses?

If you are using a public ISP, then it sounds like you have a routing
problem - you should never be trying to send packets to the private
network to your ISP (and thus they would never bring up the link).
Rather than trying to filter the packets, I would recommend you fix
your routing.

> My confusion comes from activating the filters in the Connection profile.

> My question is, is the numbered profile "20-401" for IP filtering?

The menu labeled "Filters" is for filtering.  Any of the three filters
on a P50 may be used for IP or IPX or Generic filtering - it doesnt't
matter.  The filters that ship on the P50 are just examples - you can
change the content and the label as appropriate.

> If so, is the unique portion "1"?

Yes, you would refer to it as "1" in the "Session options...>Call Filter"
parameter of the connection profile, if you wanted to use it as the call
filter on the connection.

> If that's true, does Ip filtering actually work on pipe50s?

Yes, it works.  Although if you are unsure, you need to at least include
the "Software" version and "Load:" from the "Sys Option" status window,
so that we know what you are working with.

> Coz I can't stop the thing bringing up the line for private IP.

Are you sure that the problem is the packets with private addresses?
What is output recorded in the Diagnostics display after the "wdDialout"
command has been enabled?